Westminster Boating Base
open menu
close menu
search website


Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Powerboat Driving Courses, Lessons & Experiences

Do you want to learn to drive a speed boat? Want to gain the motor boat driving licence (ICC)?

Westminster Boating Base is a RYA approved centre offering RYA Powerboating Levels 2 and Safety Boat Certificates and the International Certificate of Competence (ICC) with CEVNI (Code Europeen des Voies de Navigation Interieure) endorsement. The CEVNI is a required endorsement for anyone using a boat on inland European waterways.

The following information applies to both young people and adults. All courses are run in our own powerboats which are light alloy assault craft with Yamaha High Thrust 60hp outboard engines and Humber Destroyer 5.8m RIBs with 100hp Yamaha outboards. Certificates will be endorsed for planing craft. All our courses take place at our centre on the tidal Thames in London.


COVID-19: We're not on the water but we're looking to the future...

In the meantime, join our waiting list by sending us a message with the course you would like to book and we'll get back to you as soon as we're able to run activities.



On this page:

RYA Level 2 national powerboat certificate

ICC - International Certificate of Competence

CEVNI test for inland waterways

RYA Safety Boat certificate


RYA Level 2 National Powerboat Certificate

Prerequisites:  We can teach young people from 10 years upwards but they will not be able to gain the RYA Level 2 certificate unless 12 years or over.

The course: Students are continually taught and assessed throughout the 2 days to the required RYA standards. There is no test at the end. On successful completion of the course, you will be awarded the RYA Powerboat Level 2 certificate.

Our instructors will make every effort to ensure you have a fun and relaxed time in the boat - and most importantly help you to pass the course - but there are occasions where you may need a little extra tuition to pass the course. If this is the case, it will be charged on an hourly basis - your first hour free.

RYA Powerboat level 2 syllabus

To obtain the ICC: The RYA level 2 certificate can be directly converted to an ICC (International Certificate of Competence, min age 16yrs). This is simply a paperwork exercise - as part of the course we will help you complete the application form which you send to the RYA with an administration fee. See below for ICC eligibility. Can also include CEVNI test for inland waterways.

Times: courses run 10am-6pm each day.

Price: £390 for a 2 day course.

Please read our terms and conditions when booking a course.

Dates: In the activities schedule on this page.


International Certificate of Competence (ICC) (pleasure craft)


The RYA is authorised by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) to issue a UK ICC to the nationals of ANY country EXCEPT:

  • individuals who are a national of another UNECE member state which has accepted Resolution 40
  • individuals who are also resident in another UNECE member state which has accepted Resolution 40

UNLESS the RYA has been given written permission to do so by the Government of the relevant country.

The countries that have accepted Resolution 40 but have NOT given the RYA permission to issue a UK ICC to their nationals are:
Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Norway, Romania, Slovakia, Switzerland.
This list (correct at 01.11.2014) is subject to change without notice.
Please visit www.rya.org.uk/go/icc-no to consult the latest list.
You must send evidence with your application which proves that you are not a national of and resident in a country on this list.
Option 1: If you are a national of a country which is not on the list you can send a copy of the photo page of your passport or a recognised national identity card showing your nationality;
Option 2: If your address above is in a country which is not on the list you can send proof that you are resident at this address. Send a copy of a utility bill, bank statement, driving licence or recognised national identity card showing your address. Further authenticated evidence may be requested.
Across Europe, the ICC is acceptable as the licence to use a British flagged vessel for leisure. The ICC may be accepted for their native flagged vessels, eg. if you were to rent a boat in Europe, but you should seek confirmation from the hirer.

The ICC assessment allows the holder to drive powerboats up to 10 metres in length on coastal water. If you want to be able to drive on inland waterways too, see CEVNI test below.

"I have an RYA Powerboat Level 2 certificate"
If you hold an RYA Level 2 National Powerboat Certificate you can apply directly to the RYA for the ICC.

"I don't have an RYA Powerboat Level 2 certificate"
To get an ICC: Book an RYA Level 2 powerboat course. The price includes the Level 2 certificate.

On successful completion of the course you will be given your Level 2 certificate and the ICC paperwork (signed by the instructor) that you need to send to the RYA (with an administration fee). Once you send your paperwork to the RYA, you should receive your ICC within 21 days, although there is a 2 day fast-track service also available.

"I'm an experienced powerboat driver - without an RYA Powerboat Level 2 certificate"
If you are an experienced powerboat driver you can undergo a one-day assessment of your abilities by arrangement with us. For those that have significant experience in driving boats and a thorough knowledge of navigation, a pass can usually be achieved in one day.

A one day direct assessment for experienced helms can be made on a one-to-one basis for £390 (plus administration fee payable to the RYA for the ICC certificate).


CEVNI (Code Europeen Des Voies De Navigation Interieure) Test

This enables legal navigation of inland waterways in many European countries and tests your knowledge of signs, lights and symbols that are commonly used. Its a 30 question multiple-choice paper with a pass-mark set at a minimum of 22 correct answers. You will need to be well read on the signage before taking the test.

If you are booking a RYA Level 2 Powerboat course and want to take the CEVNI test at the same time, we will make time for it during the course - just let your instructors know at the start of the course.

You will need to know your waterway signs, symbols and lights and we advise that you purchase the RYA CEVNI Handbook (available from RYA website HERE) to aid with your revision.


RYA Safety Boat Certificate

This certificate is a requirement of the RYA Senior Instructor award. A prerequisite of the RYA Safety Boat course is to hold the RYA Level 2 powerboat certificate.
The aim is to introduce the techniques used in powerboats escorting racing fleets of dinghies, windsurfers and canoes; providing safety and rescue cover for training fleets; and assisting in race management.

Due to unpredictable weather conditions, there may be little or no need to undertake an actual rescue and simulating this is difficult. You can learn the theory but it is another matter doing it for real! Those wishing to offer their services on a voluntary basis by crewing our safety boats on actual sessions will get the chance to log many hours of driving and gain first-hand experience of how to manage fleet safety and assist troubled sailors and kayakers. You will not be charged for this!

Contact us for details of ideal times to attend.

Currently in winter season

The season begins on 01st May 2021. Kayaking and sailing continues throughout the winter on Sundays. Winter clothing regulations apply.

Powerboating activities schedule

March 2021

No scheduled activities found

A Royal Yachting Association (RYA) & British Canoeing (BC) approved training centre, regulated by the Adventure Activities Licensing Service (AALS).

Trust marks